Tuesday, October 15, 2013

dark chocolate harvest bark

When the Hubster and I first started dating, he didn't have much of a sweet tooth. I was always a bit disappointed that after I spent an hour or two baking, he'd still prefer my homemade cheese sauce. I don't blame him for loving cheesy deliciousness, but I'd take the chocolate fondue over the cheese any day.

I'm happy to say, I've slowly converted him to the dark side! I made a version of this harvest bark last week and you'd think I'd spent hours on a triple layer cake for how much he raved about it. I sheepishly admitted that it's probably one of the easiest desserts every to make...he only got more excited! Guess that means I'll be adding this bark to my list of easy, quick yummy desserts for days when we just need a little chocolate pick-me-up. Let's ignore the fact that I'd take a chocolate pick-me-up everyday...

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cup dark chocolate 
1/2 cup puffed rice cereal
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup pumpkin seads
Sprinkle of sea salt

Raid the pantry - you'll need dark chocolate, puffed rice cereal, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, and sea salt. Frugalish note: stock up on chocolate chips from Oct-Dec when they're on sale. Ideally, $2 or less. Take advantage of bulk bins for things like pumpkin seeds (if you're grocery store has them) - they tend to be cheaper and you only need to purchase what you need. Oh and I buy my dried fruit in bulk at BJs.

Toast the pumpkin seeds at 300 degrees for about 17 minutes or until they begin to turn golden and they smell toasted.
Melt the chocolate over a double broiler.
Mix rice cereal into melted chocolate. 

Working relatively quickly spread the chocolate/cereal mixture out on parchment covered baking sheet.

While chocolate is still melted, spread pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries. Press them in a little to make sure they stick in the melted chocolate. 
 Sprinkle sea salt over the surface.
Chill until it's set, break (or cut), and chow! Store in air tight containers in the fridge for handy snacking.
Did I mention it's sort-of-kind-of healthy for you? No guilt! That means you can eat double, right??!? Want more chocolate bark ideas? Try PW's Halloween Bark. Or just google chocolate bark - the topping possibilities are endless!

5 comments:

  1. That sounds SO delicious! And I would get to eat it all myself because while my husband may have a sweet tooth, but he won't touch dark chocolate. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lucky you! I can only hide chocolate so long in this house ;)

      Delete
  2. this looks amazing Caitlin! I definitely want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura! You would love it - it's a classier form of the "trash" we making at the chocolate pretzel party!

      Delete
  3. This looks amazing! I wonder if I can find unsweetened chocolate chips to make this.

    ReplyDelete