Saturday, April 6, 2013

diy dresser with rustic wooden top


Ready for the sequel to the nighstand project? This one is my personal favorite! Perhaps because I now have a new dresser for the first time in my life! I love that I can picture this dresser sitting in an overly priced home store with a gigantic budget-busting price on it. But it's not from Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Anthrolopie or West Elm, we transformed it! It might have taken some time to complete, but the finished product is exactly the look we were hoping to create!

Here's a look at the before picture - your standard 70s dresser ready for a makeover!
Dresser step-by-step:
1. Clean the dresser and drawers with a cloth and remove the old hardware. Do you think anyone will buy the hardware at a garage sale??
2. Apply a coat of Behr Hazelnut Creme on the dresser and outside of the drawers and let it dry overnight. Note: not the best idea to paint in the grass on newspaper, but spring fever was calling...

3. Apply a second coat of paint.
4. Lightly sand the corners and edges of the dresser and drawers and remove any sanding dust. Use a fine grit paper.
5. Apply a coat of Zinnser Clear Shellac Traditional Finish and Sealer (the same shellac we used in the nightstand project).
6. Replace the old knobs and pulls with new hardware from Home Depot.

And the icing on top of the cake - the dark rustic wooden top:
1. We picked up two 2x6x10s and had the Home Depot man cut them in half for us.
2. We wanted the wooden top to hang over the original dresser top by an 1 1/2" on each side, so we cut the 2x6s to be 53" long. And by "we," I mean my dad and hubster - I draw the line at super fast spinning metal blades. I'd like to keep all my fingers...
3. One board was also cut to be 3 1/2" wide so  it would sit flush with the back of the dresser against the wall.
4. After making the cuts, remove all the sawdust. Leftover sawdust + stain = not the best idea
5. Then apply a coat of Old Masters Spanish Oak Wiping Stain to the boards. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes then remove most of the stain with a cloth. Turn the boards over after they are dry to touch and coat the other side. Allow the boards to dry overnight.
6. Apply a coat of shellac to all sides of the 2x6s (flip the boards after a half hour to coat the other side).
7. Use a biscuit cutter and wood glue to attach the four boards to each other. The biscuits allowed us to attach the boards to each other without any visible nails or screws.
9. Place the 2x6 board on top on the dresser. It's currently resting on a drawer liner we bought at the dollar store to keep it from scratching the top of the dresser. If you have kids and are thinking about doing this project, you might want to screw the boards into the dresser.
I absolutely love the rustic top mixed with a sleek dresser. Can't wait until we get to work on our headboard and footboard in a few weeks! I promise I'll try to capture each step in the diy process next time!

P.S. If you liked what we did with this dresser, check out how we upcycled an old dresser into a kitchen storage cabinet for our tiny kitchen. 

31 comments:

  1. Nice work! That really does look like something you'd see at Pottery Barn! I love the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! P.S. Just noticed you have a blog! I'll certainly be adding it to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CAITLIN! THIS IS AMAZING. Truly a work of art- it does look so so quality. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! It's definitely one of my favorite projects I've ever completed! Maybe I should join Brandon in the furniture business...or not!

      Delete
  4. I know this is a long shot, but is there any chance you still have the hardware from the drawers? If so, I would be so grateful to buy it from you. I believe my chest of drawers has the exact same hardware and I am missing two pulls with back plate, as well as, two knobs. Please, let me know if you still have hardware and would be willing to sale. My email is rktdrobinson@gmail.com Thank you for your time! By the way, this dresser is awesome. I love the top, wish I could be so creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renee! Thanks for stopping by! I sent you an email about the hardware.

      Delete
  5. I have this exact same dresser and nightstand! I was telling my husband I really want to paint it but he was hesitant because he couldn't 'picture it'. I showed him your photos and now I have the go ahead :)
    The reason I always want him on board is because I usually get myself in deep and need his help to finish.
    Thanks for your great redo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help - enjoy the re-do process!

      Delete
  6. This is amazing!! Great job! You have a new reader and I am totally pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina! So glad you found me :) Off to check out your blog now!

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh, I love this!!!! You did an amazing job on this!! Pinning away!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana! It's one of my favorite projects, but then I might be a bit biased ;)

      Delete
  8. This is fabulous! I'm wondering what type of wood you used? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have two very similar yucky 70's dressers. Did you not have to strip or sand the old varnish? I thought if you didn't, the new paint would chip easily. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete