Friday, June 6, 2014

diy painted mountain gift wrap


So...June. You know what this means? It's dad's turn for a little limelight. It's time to thank him for all his hard work over the years raising such completely perfect children ;) Finding dad just the right gift is your job (because finding my own dad's gift is hard enough sheesh!), but I can help with the gift wrap! Because even manly men deserve stylishly-wrapped thoughtful gifts.

While browsing the shops in Princeton last month, we stopped in one of the stationary stores because I'm like a bug drawn towards the light when it comes to anything paper and craft-like. One wall was filled with pricey gorgeous sheets of gift wrap draped over rods. There was a number of lovely patterns for the ladies and a few fun ones for the guys. I hereby request a wall of gift wrap just like that in my dream [on] craft room. Anyway, my Dad liked the old bicycle print. Cool, but I'm no artist and there's just no way I could ever re-create that print without a stamp or a printer. Brad liked the mustaches. Nice, but it's old news.

So that got me thinking. What do the men in my life love? Beef, mountains, bacon, fish, fire... Here's my first attempt at gift wrap made especially for the boys. The perfect way to jazz up some kraft paper for Father's Day or a birthday. P.S. There's no reason to keep this wrapping paper only for the boys. I know some lovely, stylish ladies who would love to receive a one-of-a-kind, hand-painted mountain scene on a gift.
Supplies
Kraft wrapping paper or bags
Green and brown acrylic paint
Small brushes

Directions
Sketch out a mountain outline in pencil. Use a photo if you need a little realistic inspiration.

Use a small paintbrush to paint over the sketch. I mixed brown and green acrylic paint together. Just green would be perfect for a Green Mountain lover. Or give the mountains a blue tint as a nod to the Blue Ridge Mountains.


If you envision your mountains with snow, use a small stencil brush to add an abstract dusting of snow to the peaks. Or you use a small paintbrush to give a more precise snow cap to the mountains. 


Add a bit of garden twine if you want to get fancy. 


Or cut out the mountains and add a paper ribbon to an already wrapped gift. 


Now get shopping so you can get wrapping! 
Creative CollectionElizabeth Joan Designs

21 comments:

  1. Such a fun way to wrap a gift! Very cute idea, Caitlin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete