Wednesday, January 23, 2013

a few favorite things

Fact: I have A LOT of favorite things. I've been known to state, "This is my favvvorrittee" about many (most!) of my mom's delicious dinners and baked goods. How can I serious choose between espresso brownies, coconut cream pie, and gingerbread cookies? I will not and cannot choose - they are all my favorites!




Here are a few of my other favorite things lately: (P.S. Anyone singing the song yet???)

1) Green tea, cherry, spinach smoothies. Not super green, but still filled with antioxidants, vitamins, and other good stuff. If you plan on making this in single digit temps, I suggest wrapping up in a hoodie and two blankets to combat the brain freeze.

2) Creamy and filling vegetable soups like this one from Two Peas in their Pod that trick the hubster into thinking he's eating meat. If you are interested in trying their Roasted Cauliflower and Cheddar Cheese soup, I added about a 1/2 cup more cheddar because our cheddar was missing some zing. If you have really sharp cheddar, you probably won't need to add more. I also added a few dashes of hot sauce and served with crusty bread for dipping. Perfect for a cold, snowy winter evening. In fact, tonight we're trying another one - spicy sweet potato soup!












3) A clean abode. I have conquered the strange mold growing in the crevices of our shower from the previous tenants. I'll leave the gory details out, but my question still remains why do they create "bath fitters" with strange seams and cracks that create a place for water to pool and turn moldy?? Ok, I'm promise I'm over the mold now.

4) Mom's German Chocolate Cake. It's Dad's birthday cake every year. It's always moist, chocolaty, and delicious. These days there are more candles than cake...

5) Downton Abbey party with some pretty ladies! Complete with coffee, tea, yummy biscotti, and friendship. I was too lazy (it was also dark and cold!) to get my camera out of my car for a picture...

6) Fresh cranberries. Even better fresh cranberries on sale with a coupon! They've been sitting in my freezer waiting to be used. I toyed with the idea of making some cranberry sauce - I'd eat it year round if I could, but decided instead to try an old Cooking Light muffin recipe. I added an additional 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and allspice, but the hubster and I both agree more spice wouldn't hurt. And maybe some orange glaze next time. Best served warm!
Alright friends, hope my favorites list inspires you to warm up your own home with some baked goodness or delicious eats on this chilly day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment